Sunday, January 29, 2023

Tasting - Schlank Haus Riesling Spätlese

 

Name: Schlank Haus Riesling Spatlese

Variety of the grapes: Spätlese

Country of origin: Germany 

Region of origin: Nahe

Vintage year: 2021

Price: $14.95

Vintage Cellar Description:
"Ripe mango and guava notes are a bit confected but tasty in this juicy, easy drinking Riesling. Medium sweet in style, it's balanced by zesty lime acidity and a hint of earthen minerality on the finish." 

 

 

Wine Folly Text:
The information for this drink is found on pages 158-159 in Wine Folly. This gives a general description of Riesling as a whole. The book highlights that this is a sweeter wine with very low tannins. After tasting the drink, I would agree with this description. I was able to taste the green apple flavor, but i was not able to detect any of the other flavors that the book includes such as lime, beeswax, and jasmine. Page 239 of Wine Folly describes Sp
ätlese as "late harvest" grapes with a high sweetness. 
 
My Review:
Overall, I really enjoyed this wine. The first thing I noticed after the "swirl and sniff" was notes of green apple. Upon tasting, I really enjoyed the fruity flavors of this sweet wine that had no tannic aftertaste. I tried eating some slices of summer sausage while drinking my glass, and I think the pairing worked well. I would recommend this wine to my friends, but I don't have any :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine and Cheese #2 - More Cheese with Friends

  Cheese #1 - Cream Havarti Name of Wine: Fossa Mala Refossa 2020 Variety of Grapes: Sauvigon Blanc Vintage Cellar Description: "Cons...