Sunday, April 9, 2023

Tasting - Riesling Auslese

Name: Dr. Leimbrock Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Auslese 

Variety of grapes: Riesling

Country of origin: Germany

Region of origin: Brauneberg

Vintage year: 2010

Price: $29.95

Vintage Cellar Description:
"Excellent structure, ripe aromas and flavors of stone fruits (like peach), a fine minerality, great depth and length. Unique harmony, finesse and expression after aging. Fine, yet racy with elegance and complexity. Beautiful balance between fine minerality, crisp acidity, expressive fruit aromas and flavors. 

Wine Folly Text:
Page 158 of the Wine Folly book discusses the Riesling variety. Riesling grapes typically have green apple, lime, beeswax, petroleum, and jasmine notes. This particular wine only had the green apple notes. The book recommends that Rieslings age for about 5-10 years. The vintage of this wine is 2010, so it was 13 years old when we drank it.

My Review:
This was the oldest vintage of wine I have ever had, so I was eager to try it. I was not able to distinguish any particular aromas from the wine through the 'swirl and sniff'. Upon tasting it, i detected notes of green apple and peach. It had a crisp freshness to it that I greatly enjoyed. This was an Auslese Riesling so it was also very sweet, and I have a horrible sweet tooth. Overall I enjoyed this wine a lot. This was my favorite Riesling I have had to date. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine and Cheese #2 - More Cheese with Friends

  Cheese #1 - Cream Havarti Name of Wine: Fossa Mala Refossa 2020 Variety of Grapes: Sauvigon Blanc Vintage Cellar Description: "Cons...