Sunday, April 16, 2023

Dinner #3 - The Last Supper

 

Appetizer

For the appetizer, we had homemade mango salsa with Karl Josef Blend

Name of Wine: Karl Josef Piesporter Michelsberg Qualitatswein 2020

Variety of Grapes: Blend of Muller-Thurgau and Riesling

Vintage Cellar Description:
"Enticing, with notes of candle was, spice and zesty lemon, this off-dry blend of Muller-Thurgau and Riesling is deeply concentrated with white peach and apricot flavors. It's weighty and rich in feel, with streaks of mineral that add delicate complexity to the finish."

My Review:
The wine had faint floral aromas, and it tasted similarly. It was not too dry and it only gave my mouth the slightest feeling of dryness. When paired with the mango salsa, the wine was noticeable less dry and I did not get any of the puckering feeling in my mouth that I did when consuming the wine alone. I was also able to detect more fruity notes like orange. I also like the acidity of wine and how it paired with the acidity of the lime juice in the mango salsa. Overall, this combination was refreshing and would be perfect for a warm summer day.

Entré

For the main course we had homemade General Tso's chicken with rice and Dr. Leimbrock Riesling.
 

Name of Wine: Dr. Leimbrock Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spatlese Feinherb

Variety of Grapes: Riesling

Vintage Cellar Description:
"Lime zest and green apples perfume this zesty, green-fruited sip. Properly feinherb in style, there's just a whisper of sweetness glazing the palate like lace against a backdrop of pristine, spine-tingling gooseberry and grapefruit flavor. An energizing wine that's delicious now but should hold well through 2024."

My Review: 
This was a Riesling Spatlese, and based on previous ones I have had, I expected it to be sweeter than it was. That being said it was still very good, although I much prefer the Dr. Leimbrock Riesling Auslese I previously had. But back to this review, this wine was slightly floral with a hint of sweetness. I would not agree with the Vintage Cellar description as having flavors of "lime zest or green apple." When paired with the General Tso's chicken, I think the wine tasted a more sweet. However I think the General Tso's was too overpowering for this off dry wine and that a sweet Riesling would have paired better.


Dessert

For dessert we had homemade snicker doodle cookies with Maynard's Aged Tawny Port

Name of Wine: Maynard's Aged Tawny Port

Variety of Grapes: Blend of Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cao, Tinta Barroca

Vintage Cellar Description:
"Maynard's 10 Year Old Tawny Port  has a deep brick color with amber rim. It shows beautiful aromas of dried fruits, honey flavors and a touch of vanilla, combined with ripe berry fruit. It has a silky texture with a long and clean ending."

My Review:
This was one of the oldest wine I have tried to date, and one of the strongest (as expect since its a fortified wine). This wine tasted similar to a honey syrup mix, like something that would go great with pancakes. It also had a noticeable fiery finish that I could feel down the back of my throat.  When paired with snicker doodle cookies, the long finish of the wine was not as prevalent. The sweetness of the cookies also went well with the sweet syrup like flavor of the wine. However, I would much prefer to eat the cookies by themselves and not drink the wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine and Cheese #2 - More Cheese with Friends

  Cheese #1 - Cream Havarti Name of Wine: Fossa Mala Refossa 2020 Variety of Grapes: Sauvigon Blanc Vintage Cellar Description: "Cons...